Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Kids Health = Health Club Profits?

Fitness Business News recently reported that just 15% of people in the United States belongs to a health club, and that gyms are always seeking ways to bring in the other 85%.

As part of this effort, some fitness centers are targeting kids as clients. One of the dangers is that you risk changing the atmosphere of the gym by introducing kids to the mix. Conversations may have to be more guarded, and not everyone enjoys being around children and/or teens. After all, many members come to the health club for "me time" away from their youngsters!

Of course, there's also the concern that your insurance company may not allow children below a certain age.

On the plus side, there are many parents that are concerned about how lethargic kids are today. The daily health news frequently features a story about obese children. Between video games, iPods and television most children are getting far less exercise than they should. This could be a perfect market for fitness center owners, and who wouldn't want to boost their overall membership numbers?

How do you make it work? A gym called Motion Fitness in New Jersey allows kids into the facility after school and on weekend afternoons, which are typically slow times. Some circuit training health clubs keep kids in mind by offering memberships to anyone 16 years of age or older.

Is your gym a children's place or just for adults? What's your age cutoff for new members? Join the discussion and add your comments below!

No comments: